Monday 15 June 2020

The next Isolation project - Bad Squiddo Amazons.

Well I actually started this project about a month ago, here with a Standard Bearer, but I am now working on all the rest of my Bad Squiddo Amazons. Here are the first two I have completed;


On the website, Annie describes the figure on the left as an Assassin and the other as an Amazon Captain. I think of her as my Strategissa (the female counterpart of a Strategos, meaning "army leader").

I am really very pleased with these two figures. They are lovely clean casts of excellent sculpts and the folds and drapes of the cloaks and robes gave me lots of nice detail to work with. The tufts on the bases are also from Annie. They are Gamer's Grass ones.

Originally released as a Kickstarter, these are currently available on the Bad Squiddo website, along with many of their sisters.

I thought that I had had a disaster when I varnished these. I usually use Humbrol spray varnish, which I always give a good shake to ensure the contents of the can are properly mixed. I was horrified after spraying to see that all the metallic paints had fogged. I can only assume that there was residual humidity in the air. However, I was able to salvage matters by a judicial application of additional paint over the affected areas, which solved the problem. Strangely, the parts of the figures with no metallic paint weren't in the slightest bit fogged, otherwise I would have had a real problem, requiring the olive oil treatment.

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous minis Carole, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your problem happens a lot. Some even paint the metallic colour after the varnish. For some reason, the varnish floats the metallic pigments off the figure and into the fluid of the varnish. I had some curassiers that ended up with sparkly bits all over their uniforms!🤓

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really weird how it happened. I've had fogging on occasions before, but not in the same way.

      Delete
  3. Those are quite nice sculpts, and excellent painting.
    I'll have to have a look at the rest of them, I need Amazons for my Lustria projects.

    ReplyDelete