Monday 13 December 2021

Elizabethan Swashbucklers

I bought these figures about a year ago and put them to one side, having more urgent things to paint.

These are Wargames Foundry figures from their Seadogs and Swashbucklers range. I bought five packs of figures in all, with the aim of putting a couple of bands together for games using the En Garde rules. They hopefully might work for the currently unreleased TooFatLardies sword fighting rules, although I think that those rules are more aimed at the France of Louis XIII and the Three Musketeers.

These are the first three I've photographed and I am really pleased with how they have turned out. The sculpts and casts are excellent, with loads of crisp detail. I am generally pretty pleased with how they have turned out, although, typically, the photos show up a few tiny mistakes which are annoying, but won't really show up on the table.

I really like the guy in the middle a lot. He has something about him that says "swaggering swordsman", and his companions also look like formidable characters. Perhaps they might be veterans of wars in the Low Countries or privateering voyages against the Spanish? The chap on the left looks like one of those Elizabethan gentlemen of letters, equally capable of knocking out a sonnet or two or running through a few ne'er do wells in a seedy tavern brawl.

I've got another nine ready for varnishing and photographing, so I'll post them in separate posts later on.

Since finishing these, I am now thinking how I might use them for supernatural settings, with Master Hieronymus and Red Samuel as adversaries. I'm sure I'll think something up.

I haven't got names for these three Flashing Blades yet, but I can work on a backstory later, once my ideas are all worked out.

2 comments:

  1. Great paint job on great figures. I have had this same pack sitting in my lead pile for a while... but my kid stole one of the figures to paint as a Francis Drake statue for a school project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They’ve come out well! Very good 🙂
    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete