Wednesday 15 January 2020

My first completed painting of 2020

I really had to get these done as my first painting task this year, because I need them for a weekend of 28mm Peninsular War Sharp Practice at the beginning of February.

First, 16 Portuguese Fuzileiros, in two groups of eight, with an Officer and a Drummer, representing troops of the 20th Regiment of Foot;


Accompanied by a group of eight Grenadieros, with an officer and a standard bearer.


The second officer is actually supposed to be a second standard bearer, but I really didn't need two of them and he looks fine as a junior officer. The reason that I have done a single group of grenadiers is that I have eight figures with short swords (four from the Warlord box and the four Front Rank ones), and these were only carried by flank company troops.

The figures are all from the Warlord plastic Portuguese Infantry box, bulked out with four additional metal figures from Front Rank, these are the rear four figures in the grenadier group.

People who know me generally know that I do not like painting Napoleonic uniforms very much, and these were no exception to that rule, but despite my mental moaning and groaning, these have come out OK, but I have noticed now, after varnishing that I forgot to put a small dab of blue on their shako cockades, but I can live with that.

I am also always unhappy while I am painting plastic figures, because they never really look any good until I get an ink wash on them and I've done some dry-brushing to bring out the details and textures of the figures.

Anyway, although these are unlikely to ever win any prizes for painting, they will look pretty good on the table as a useful addition to my Anglo-Portuguese army.

2 comments: