Tuesday 18 January 2022

My first post of 2022 - the start of my Soviet project

OK, this is my first post of the year, almost three weeks since my last activity on the blog.  I have been busy, though.

My priority has been working on my 15mm WW2 Soviets for Chain of Command. These are required for a game I will be running at Winter Wonder Lard at BIG in February. I have pretty much completed everything I need, apart from all the terrain items I am planning to use, so I'll be posting a number of posts over the next week or so with where I am.

First, here are a couple of Soviet vehicle choices. A SU-76 and two BA-64 light armoured cars;


These are Skytrex models and I think they are very nice too. I have two BA-64s because they are sold as a pair, but I am pretty sure I'll be using both of them. I am very pleased with the SU-76. It is a really nice model with a lot of crisp detail. It comes as the hull, two sets of running gear and the 76mm Zis-3 gun, plus three crew members, so a spot of super glue work is required. The BA-64 models come with separate wheels and turrets, so glue time there too. I am happy to report that everything goes together cleanly. I painted the crew separately and stuck them in afterwards. 

I will do separate posts covering the various infantry and support components for my Soviet forces.



7 comments:

  1. Excellent job on the vehicles. Is it a winter scenario? Just wanting your thoughts on how you do your miniatures. Do you have separate models for winter and summer or just generic models used for both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is going to be early 1945, when the Russians were pushing westwards from the Vistula towards the Oder. I've done a generic Russian force that I can use for all sorts of things. Not sure I'd get much use out of something that was obviously designed for winter fighting.

      Delete
    2. Cool. I look forward to reading more about it. My 15mm Soviets are all painted for the summer. I just haven't had the time or energy to paint winter troops.

      Delete
  2. The SU76 and BA64, fairly ubiquitous come 1945, are just about 'must have' kit in any war games Soviet Army from 1943 onwards. Pity I have just the one BA64!

    Nice vehicles Carole. I'm always interested in what people do with the sort of projects I do!
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely ubiquitous, and also eminently suitable for an essentially infantry platoon-level game like Chain of Command.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Probably more popular with the infantry it supported than it was with those who served as crew.

      Delete