Saturday 22 January 2022

My Soviets have a tank!

A T-34/76 to be precise.


The paintwork could be a lot neater on the turret above, but perhaps the painting on the actual vehicles was pretty slapdash?


The model is a 1/100 scale (i.e. 15mm) Zvezda one, and I bought it ages ago from the shop at the Bovington tank museum. I had assembled it and put it away in a drawer for safekeeping and pretty much forgot all about it. I was only because of a comment on a previous post that I remembered it, so I found it, gave it an undercoat and finished it off late yesterday afternoon. I varnished it with Humbrol Matt Spray this morning and I think it has come out OK.

It is a nice simple kit and has enough detail for a wargames table. My only criticism is the absence of external fuel tanks.

I undercoated it in PSC Russian uniform and gave it a bit of a dry-brushing in Vallejo Brown Violet, followed by another dry-brush with German Camouflage Beige to bring out the angles and curves. I did the tracks with Vallejo Panzer Aces track primer and then touched up the edges of the tracks with Oiled Steel while the primer was still wet. Then I did the stars and white stripe on the turret and did the steel cables with oiled steel mixed with track primer. There is also a small amount of rust effect paint around the exhausts and on the cables.

Then the whole vehicle got a dry-brushing with Vallejo Tan Earth, followed by a wash of Citadel Nuln Oil.

I am so pleased with this that I've ordered a couple more Zvezda tanks online; a T-34/85 and a KV-1. 

 

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a T34 that has been around and back again. Superb. I've recently seen the white identifier marking decal for tanks that depicts paint that has run. So I imagine a good deal of that kind of thing was carried out in the field, and probably in a hurry. The same for numbers, and certainly for slogans. I used to do slogans on my Soviet tanks, but, when my eyesight was crapping out (since fixed), switched to numbers, which I could at least see, and were more convenient for war gaming identification and, if necessary, logging. The Soviets went in for numbering their tanks fairly randomly (to avoid easy identification of leaders).
    All of which one can have a lot of fun with.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete