Wednesday 19 January 2022

Soviet Rifle Platoon

You'll need to scroll down to see all the troops. 

This is a WW2 Soviet rifle platoon in 15mm, using Peter Pig figures and the platoon organisation in the TooFatLardies Chain of Command rule book.

The platoon is made up of three squads;




According to the TFL rules, the platoon is led by a Leytenant (senior leader) with a pistol, who is with the middle squad in the pictures above, and each squad is comprised of a Serzhant (junior leader) with a PPSh-41 SMG, a two-man DP-27 LMG team and seven riflemen with the Mosin–Nagant 91/30 rifle.

In the pictures above, the serzhants are wearing pilotka caps and are mounted on 2cm bases and the leytenant is wearing a peaked cap with a red band and is also on a 2cm base. The LMG teams are on 3cm bases and the rifles on 1.5cm ones. In reality, the serzhants would most likely have been wearing helmets, but the pilotka and larger base makes them stand out for gaming purposes.

In CoC, the Russian infantry squad cannot be broken down into two separate teams, unlike the Germans, British or Americans, although two riflemen can be split off to create a small scout team.

These were a pretty quick and simple paint job. I spray-coated all the figures en masse with Citadel Zandri Dust, which is a pretty reasonable basic colour for Soviet uniforms and then added in the details with Vallejo paints. The helmets were done with Brown Violet and the pilotka cap with Green Ochre. I used German Camouflage beige for packs etc, saddle brown for the wooden parts of their weapons and gunmetal for the metal parts. Finally, everything was given a wash with the water-soluble Army Painter Strong Tone that comes in dropper bottles.


10 comments:

  1. Quite nice, and the basing should differentiate the officer sorts enough.

    Looking forward to the supports (and hopefully some tanks!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanks are planned, but I am still pondering exactly which ones I want.

      Delete
    2. Given that this is for CoC, it seems like various light tanks and armored cars will probably be the most useful, but who can resist having a couple of T-34s on hand to hold back the Hun?

      Delete
    3. As I wrote in another reply:

      "Lasgunpacker's earlier comment reminded me that I had an unpainted Zvezda T-34/76 model stored away in one of my storage drawers. I have found it and given it a spray of undercoat, so that will be one tank option. I have also now been online and ordered a KV-1 for earlier scenarios and a T-34/85 as well".

      Delete
  2. Great paint work. A few peeps at my local club do Chain Of Comand but in 28mm. 15mm looks cheaper to me though! Plus the Peter Pig figures have that lovely characterful face

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 15mm looks great on the table too. The game's ground scale works perfectly with 15mm. I think it was what Richard Clarke used when developing the rules.

      Delete
  3. Nice platoon you've got their Comrade Tovarishch. Hurrah for the Rodina! A glorious workers T34 is the obvious choice, but I always like the funky T70 myself. But if you're facing big cats, then the IS2 would be my choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it happens, Lasgunpacker's earlier comment reminded me that I had an unpainted Zvezda T-34/76 model stored away in one of my storage drawers. I have found it and given it a spray of undercoat, so that will be one tank option. I have also now been online and ordered a KV-1 for earlier scenarios and a T-34/85 as well. an IS-2 might arrive later on but I also fancy things like the SU-100.

      Delete
    2. If you are going down the SPG rout then an ISU 122 or the mighty 152 is the way to go.

      Delete
    3. A bit too "gamey" for Chain of Command, to my way of thinking. Also, very expensive in terms of support options.

      Delete