Thursday 27 January 2022

Soviet scout platoon

Here is my second full platoon of Peter Pig WW2 Soviets; razvedchiki, i.e scouts.

The reconnaissance platoon organisation is taken from the 2016 TooFatLardies Christmas Special. 




According to the organisation listed,  the Scout platoon consists of;

HQ;

Leytenant; Senior Leader with Pistol
Serzhant; Junior Leader with SMG

3 Squads, each with;

Junior Leader with SMG
LMG with 2 crew
4 SMGs
4 Rifles

Actually, the 2016 Special says that the rifles should be SVT-40s, but these weren't hugely reliable and, in any case production was heavily disrupted after the beginning of Barbarossa in 1941, so the Mosin–Nagant 91/30 rifle remained the standard for most Russian units throughout the war. Obviously, the SMG used is the PPSh-41 and the LMGs are the Degtyaryov DP-27.

These troops are wearing the "amoeba" camouflage smock and trousers with the pilotka cap. I've chosen to do the amoeba pattern in green, although it could have been brown. I've also chosen to give the platoon commander an officer's cap with a raspberry red band, so he stands out on the table.

As with all my WW2 15mm units, the rank and file are on 1.5 cm bases and leaders are on 2 cm ones.

I am beginning to think that I've got enough core troops for my Soviets now, and I ought to start building up their support options. I'm thinking of snipers, anti-tank rifles teams, 5 cm mortar teams and engineer teams with flamethrowers and additional rifle squads.


3 comments:

  1. Interesting looking squad, and it is nice to have some variety in your Soviets. Did scout platoons come from the same company/battalion as a regular rifle platoon, or were they in different regiments altogether?

    All the support squad stuff sounds good too, and then you will have enough options to really keep an opponent guessing/fit historical scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I can see from reading various things, the reconnaissance platoon was a regimental or battalion-level asset. I am prepared to be wrong if someone has better information.

      Delete
  2. I idly wonder if this should be the platoon structure for paratroopers also

    ReplyDelete