Sunday 23 October 2022

Back in early 2018, I started off a project .....................

.............. but I abandoned it, half painted. Over the years I did a few bits and pieces but it stayed in a box, mostly forgotten.

However, while I've been painting other things this year, I've gone back to the abandoned project while waiting for things to dry and brought my earlier efforts up to a better standard, as much as possible.

The project was going to be a Zanzibari Arab slaver band for Congo, but we stopped playing those rules and I couldn't see much point in carrying on at the time. Now, though, I can see how the figures could be useful for all sorts of things, In Her Majesty's Name, for example, or Pulp games in general. So, without further ado, here are the first few figures out of the completed total.

These figures represent a variety of characters and leaders. I particularly like the two on the left, especially the one in the red turban with a double-barrelled shotgun and also the one-eyed piratical guy on the far-right, with his pet monkey sitting on his shoulder.

Next are two groups of Baluchis (now known as Baloch) with jezails;

I think I overdid the Army Painter strong tone a bit on the two guys in green, but I don't think it really matters.

As far as I have discovered, Baluchi people spread out around the coasts of the Indian Ocean and Arabian Gulf and ended up in East Africa when the Sultanate of Muscat controlled large parts of the East African coast. 

As you can see, I went for a much more colourful palette for the clothing of all these figures, mainly because I wanted a kind of Hollywood style for them, but also because I didn't want to paint up and endless series of figures in white. Yes, I know, I've recently been painting Napoleonic Austrians, but when I started on this in 2018 I was less confident about painting large areas of white.

There are plenty more figures finished off, so I'll post the rest of them over the next week or so.


1 comment: