Tuesday 2 March 2021

Some more finished minis!

Two more figures painted. This time from the Copplestone Future Wars range. 


These are listed as Power-armour troopers but I see them as armoured combat droids for my ROTOR rules. They could, of course be suitable for any science fiction rules you might have. These guys are pretty big, around 4cm tall and have heavy weapons and powered fists, so a tough nut to crack.


My idea for these, apart from having one as a heavy hitter in a ROTOR Reiver team is that they have been hanging around for a long time, maybe as heavy security for an industrial complex or perhaps a scientific or mining location. Therefore, I wanted them to look a bit battered and battle-worn. So, lots of small areas of raw metal and a bit of rust around the lower legs. I also wanted them to look like decommissioned military droids so I painted on a ghosted dark green area where military insignia had been in the past.


You can see the rusty areas quite nicely on the rear view of the two droids above. When I painted them, my aim was to bring out as much contrast as possible, so plenty of dry-brushing and darkening the recessed parts of the figures.
To do this, I used some Army Painter Strong Tone (the stuff in the dropper bottles, not the tinned version) painted all over the models after an initial priming coat of PSC US Olive Drab spray before adding in the bare metal areas and the layers of dry-brushing with Vallejo Olive Green, Desert Yellow and finally Iraqi Sand, finishing off by adding on the rust glazing, using AK Light Rust Wash.

Finally, I finished the bases off with Gamer's Grass (available on the Bad Squiddo website) dry vegetation tufts and a mix of sandy and rocky ballast.

I am really very pleased with how these have turned out.


3 comments:

  1. Excellent work :) a silly trick I learned way back when, doing wwII armor: if you want "scars" from almost-hit projectiles/HEAT rounds, use a torch to heat an appropriate size phillips head screwdriver (that you care nothing about) and poke and push slightly to one size. A near miss. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one side, not one size. Never claimed typing skills :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that working for 28mm and maybe even 15mm scale vehicles.

      Delete