Thursday 20 August 2020

At last! The sun is shining, Pt. Two - Napoleonic Light Bobs

Actually, there are twenty-one Light Bobs in total, so scroll down to see them all.

These are all Victrix 28mm plastics from the British Peninsular War flank company box set.

First, three groups of six skirmishing light infantry with muskets.


In keeping with my preference for battleworn-looking troops, these are stained, dusty and a bit battered.


Note that I have varied the colours of their trousers. I wanted to give the impression that these chaps have been in the field for long enough for their uniforms to get tatty and their trousers to wear out.


Finally, three leaders for the troops; two NCOs and an officer.


These troops are intended to be Light Company skirmishers for my 61st Foot, hence their green shako plumes.

I decided a while ago that the Baker Rifle-equipped 95th and Portuguese Atiradores were not always ideal in all situations, being expensive in points and also slow to reload. Therefore, I wanted to bolster my British Sharp Practice force with some ordinary flank company Light Bobs with muskets. Yes, they lack the range of the Rifles, but they only require one reload action and are cheaper in points costs. My troops have already suffered a lot from attacks by French voltigeurs in numerous games, enough to make me realise that the British also needed some musket-equipped light troops of their own.

That isn't to say that I am retiring my 95th Rifles, far from it. I am just increasing my options, after reviewing the situation.

Anyway, I really have to give the leaders some names, so; from left to right we have;

Sergeant Harry Stottle, a grizzled veteran of the 1st Battalion who first served in the Caribbean campaign of the 1790s and also served in the Egyptian Campaign of 1801-2. He was promoted to sergeant after Talavera.

Lieutenant Archibald Leach, inexplicably known as "Cary" to his fellow subalterns. He joined the 1st Battalion in Malta as an ensign in 1803, serving in Italy where he fought at the Battle of Maida, before receiving a battlefield promotion to Lieutenant after the Battle of Talavera in 1809.

Corporal Ashley Down, Bristol born and bred and a former crew member on a Bristol Channel trow, Cpl. Down enlisted in in the 61st in 1804 to avoid being press-ganged into the Navy. He also fought at Maida and Talavera.

5 comments:

  1. Very impressive painting Carole, they really do look like they are Peninsula veterans. Just came across your blog and I'm very impressed with the range of activities. Cheers Greg (Delta Coy Blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely stuff - and I really like the names and background on the NCOs and Officer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More great painting Carole - the shading and creases of the trousers is particularly effective

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Although I dislike painting Napoleonic uniforms, I think I do a reasonable job with them. The thing is that I like playing the period, so I just have to paint the figures.

      Delete