Friday 10 July 2020

Infamy, Infamy - the Auxilia have got it in for me!

Well, I have been painting away frantically all week to try and get some of my Victrix Romans completed, and now, as we have a dry day, I have managed to varnish the first few completed figures.

I have done two small vignettes to serve as Deployment and Ambush points, and also two Leaders.

First up, here is my Centurio, Julius Magnus Gallus, and his faithful Optio, Lucius Esox.


Note that their plumes are black. This is to represent the famous feathers of the Syldavian Black Pelican, noted by Herodotus as being sought after for helmet plumes, as mentioned in an earlier post.

Next, giving me an opportunity to use the arms with severed heads, flaming torches and heads on spears, I have done a deployment point and an ambush point marker.


The large dog is actually a Warbases 28mm wolf. I see the figures on these bases as being Exploratores returning from a mission into enemy territory, and coming back with trophies to prove that they contacted some barbarian foes.

These are the start of my Cohors Equitata force, the Cohors Primus Syldaviorum Equitata Luperci, raised from the Illyrian Goganii of north-western Syldavia during the imperium of Augustus Caesar. It is believed that this cohort was raised by Tiberius sometime after his campaigns in Pannonia, known as the Bellum Batonianum

12 comments:

  1. Nice leaders and ambush/deployment points. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work. I am struggling to come up with ideas for deployment/ambush markers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a brainstorming session with my daughter last week. We came up with: a Sacred Grove, a shrine, a withered oak, a hags hut, a woodsman's camp, a ghostly apparition, a Necromancers ruin (?), a tower, a tree house, a gibbet, a mad hermit, a broken down wagon, a runestone, and a still (!).

      Delete
    2. Cor! That's a pretty decent list.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful vignettes Carole, they look great...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, live to know the colours u used :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All Vallejo paints. Bronze, brass, gunmetal and natural steel for the metals, leather brown, the tunics were mainly blended colours, dry-brushing where necessary with Iraqi Sand.

      Delete
  5. They look brilliant! I've been trying to figure out my own EIR deployment points. This has been massively helpful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent. Played first game of II today, and looking forward to fighting these guys.

    ReplyDelete