Monday 18 November 2019

Warfare 2019

Last Saturday, I headed east from Bristol to Reading for Warfare 2019. This year I had a specific list of things I wanted to buy and, amazingly I bought all but one of them.

I also had a chance to meet up with lots of nice people, including a few who I'd not met before, having only engaged with them online. It was nice to meet Andy from Gripping Beast and also to meet Rob Avery, of Vis Lardica fame, who I regularly bombard with photos of my figures as entries to the annual TooFatLardies Painting Challenge. This provides me with a regular reminder to Paint More Stuff! While I'm discussing Matters Lard, I also bumped into Lardmeister Richard Clarke and the famous Sidney Roundwood, whose blog is a source of inspiration for anyone who likes a well-painted miniature. Sidney deserves special thanks, because he spotted lots of packs of Victrix Roman Auxiliaries hanging up on a display, because we had just been discussing that I was at the show with a list, and Roman Auxiliaries were top of it. Thanks, Sidney! 

And here they are;


They will form the infantry component for my Roman Cohors Equitata for Infamy, Infamy, the Lardies' Ancient rules, which are currently being playtested.

I also stopped off at Warlord to buy some 28mm Late War Germans, for a project I will be starting early in the New Year.


Of course, I had to visit Bad Squiddo and have a nice chat with Annie and Bruce. I also met another of Annie's friends, the lovely and very funny Anjuli, who I'd not met before. I also had a chat with Guy Bowers of Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy magazine at the same time, because he had also dropped in to see Annie. Of course, I couldn't visit the Lair of the Squid without buying something. I came away with three Amazons who were still being packaged up as well as another group of Japanese warrior women. (note to self - get on and start painting the ones you've already got!)


I also finally got round to buying some heavy cavalry for Syldavia and Borduria, my 18th century Imagi-nations, from Essex Miniatures. These will give me enough figures to field two groups of eight Heavies for both armies, plus a couple of leaders apiece.


I met lots of other people too, too many to mention, but I must single out Colin Farrant from Charlie Foxtrot, who has the most amazing new French church model, which you can see on the CF blog. To be honest, the word "amazing" doesn't really do the thing justice. It is pretty a lovely thing to see in real life. 

2 comments:

  1. We went to the show, the first time for many years. We'll definitely be going again next year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is going to be at Ascot racecourse next year. Seeing as Colours is at Newbury racecourse and is a nice show, I reckon that it will make Warfare better than it is now.

      Delete