Tuesday 5 November 2019

Sci Fi skirmish play-test 1

On Sunday, I finally had the chance to do a full play-test of Version 1 of my science fiction skirmish rules, which are called Reivers Of The Outer Rim, or ROTOR for short, because I like games rules which are an acronym.

I'll post a few pictures first, mainly because of Clive's excellent post apocalyptic scenery, but also because blog posts always look better with pictures, and then talk about the challenges of writing and testing rules.


We played a basic sort of scenario, with five different teams. My main aim was just testing the movement, combat and shooting mechanisms, but I also wanted to make sure that people enjoyed their game. Thanks to Andy, Matt, Nick and Clive, I think that we managed to achieve both objectives. Andy played with a Scavenger team, while the rest of us had variants of the other basic team structure.



This face-off between my Combat Droid on the left and Clive's larger equivalent lasted almost the entire game, until my droid was knocked out, which prompted a discussion on what happens to scrap droids. I've subsequently written a rule on this, which may well be subject to further revision. 




The purple thing with four arms is a non-player character, in this case, a Mutant. I have clarified certain rules covering NPCs, because of a few inconsistencies. These are included in V1.1 of the rules.





OK, so my thoughts.

1) My Firing rules were too complex, and asked questions that, once I thought about them made no sense. I have subsequently simplified them, removing some really unnecessary Hit modifiers that I have forgotten why I wrote them in the first place.

2) Hand-to-hand combat worked OK, but I have still tweaked it a bit, because I think it needed clarifications regarding combat outcomes.

3) I had pretty much forgotten to explain how the initial game turn would work to bring players onto the table. Luckily, I was able to deal with this and have now written a section for the first game turn, which is slightly different to what we did on the day, but still within the spirit of the solution we used.

4) There was a lot of tightening up of rules required, which was always going to happen. Games systems, like battle plans seldom survive contact with the enemy unscathed. If they did, play-testing wouldn't be necessary. In my former working life, I spent a lot of time writing manuals, technical guides and operational procedures for IT systems. I quickly learnt that once a first draft was written, it had to be read through by someone who didn't know the system, but was technically experienced in general terms. Just because something makes sense to the author, that doesn't mean that it will to other people.

5) Spell-checking and proof reading is essential. I really should have done this before making ROTOR V1 available.

6) I was conscious that I might have written rules that had created one or two almost immortal characters that would be impossible to kill. There was a risk of that, but we made some changes on the fly to reduce the risk. It is almost inevitable that there will be more to come in later iterations.

Anyway, I have now written V1.1, proof-read it and made corrections which are included in V1.2. My next task, to avoid leafing through the rules for everything is to write a Quick Reference Sheet. This won't be very fancy at first, because it will undoubtedly need amending and updating after first use.

I have also added in a final section suggesting some basic team types that players might want to use, which might give games a different feel each time.

I have to say that there is something really satisfying about seeing a set of rules come together and actually get used in a game, warts and all. Hopefully, the next play-test will be a bit easier and the game will feel a bit more streamlined and quicker to play.

7 comments:

  1. Very nice! It's been a few years since I play tested a new set of rules that I put together. So much fun, so many re-writes. Are you planning to sell your rules or will they be give-aways?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still to decide what to do with them. Selling them would be great, but it is a big step. I think I'd seek professional advice first. I know a couple of people who have published rules commercially and will probably let them take a look over them first.

      Delete
    2. Self publish on lulu.com! It's really pretty simple. As you know, the more eyes you have on it, the better the final product will be. Consider this perspective: Games Workshop re-publishes poor quality rule sets over and over with new edition numbers on them. There are always tons of errors and errata. GW makes more money and is far more successful than I'll ever be. A solid "First Edition" is acceptable even if the real goal is to accumulate feedback so that the next edition is absolutely top-notch. Let the public play test it for you.

      Delete
  2. Well done on getting this far. Getting rules on the table is always daunting. I'm currently writing some rpg rules and on a read through realised the whole section on shooting I was sure in my head worked, I had neglected to actually commit fully to the text!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, It was a fun game. I think you're being too hard on your rules. Afaic, they were 95% ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but I think that they will be better now, maybe 97% ready.

      Delete
  4. Well done. It takes alot of patience and head scratching to get rules ready just for playtesting. Look forward to seeing more as always interested in new rules

    ReplyDelete