Monday 25 November 2019

Planning a Dux Britanniarum campaign

A few of us at the club are thinking about getting a Dux Britanniarum campaign going next year, so we are looking at our existing armies to see what would fit. 

As I already have masses of Gripping Beast Late Romans, augmented with slingers, levies etc from the "Dark Ages" boxes, I automatically assumed that I have everything I'd need and wouldn't have to do any work at all.

Unhappily, as things transpired when I started looking in depth, the one area where I was lacking was basic levy troops. It isn't that I have too few, it is more that I have based most of them up eight to a base for Sword and Spear.

So, I had to assemble and paint up six individually-based levy types using some of the many spares I have lying around, and here they are;


I wanted to make them look a bit muddy and battle-worn, so I put most of the effort into making their shields look old and battered. I think that they fit in pretty well with the existing dozen individually-based levies I have, although those guys look a bite more nicely turned out. Perhaps the new ones might represent a group of really unwilling peasants pressed into service at the last minute?


They'll also fit in with the slingers I intend to use as missile troops, although I'll only need four of those;


The rest of my Dux troops will be taken from my Late Roman armoured and unarmoured infantry.





2 comments:

  1. Great looking force. Dux is a fun game. Never completed a campaign. Always lost steam before it could complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm hoping that we can keep the momentum going. We'll have to see how it pans out.

      Delete