Monday 23 September 2019

Alien Squad Leader - a new AAR

OK, hands up, this ASQL game was a few weeks ago, but I decided against photographing yesterday's game at the club, because it was S&SF  with my Hyborian barbarians (again) and I thought it would be a bit samey. 

I would be defending the base in the distance with my GZG Corporate Mercenaries against Richard's multi-legged Alien Imperial army made up from GZG Xar, plus various other figures.

The Galactic Seafood Corporation had set up a luxury food processing plant on this remote planet, having discovered that the immature version of the locals (a.k.a. the Crabbies) tasted like a superior version of the best crab or lobster ever previously tasted. This exciting new product was being marketed across space as "The Sunday Roast Where Everyone Gets A Leg".

The locals were, understandably, outraged and had called in a punitive expedition from their relatives on the nearest Crabby Imperial homeworld.


Here are my opponents, looking suitable Crabby and Outraged.


There were some anti-grav vehicles too.


My Mercenaries were equipped with two new additions, combat mechs with laser katanas, not that I was planning to use them in close combat if I could avoid it. The yellow beads indicate that the units thus marked are on Overwatch.


My Force Commander was close to the objective, but not actually in that forward position, preferring to stay in the less advanced built-up area.


I deployed a variety of troops on Overwatch defending the Objective, included power-armoured Samurai. There was a question over these, as the rules state that they are equipped with Heavy Weapons, but a discussion with the author, Alex Self later revealed that this was in actual fact a typo, and they should properly be given Small Arms. However, having played a few moves before Alex turned up, we agreed to keep the HWs for this game only.


The Crabbies began to swarm forward, both from the central forest and also on their left flank. I was worried about those light armoured vehicles with their Superior Energy Heavy Weapons.



We exchanged fire, with both sides taking hits. The green bead markers show Pinned status. Corporate Mercenaries never Fall Back, neither do they suffer an activation penalty when Pinned.


The LAVs advanced. I knew that I'd have to try and take them out.


I got my own AFVs moving to counter the threat. These were equipped with longer-ranged Primary Weapons Systems. Unhappily, my commander soon took a hit.


In the centre my battered Ashigaru were holding their own, and were dishing out a lot of hits on the Crabbies. The GSC production lines were soon gearing up for a mass canning session of its new BBQ Crab speciality.


Things were looking OK, but I was worried about the amount of damage my small army was taking. The Corporate Mercenaries are an expensive force, and my break point was a measly eight stands.


My fears were soon exacerbated when the AFV containing my Force Commander (who had stupidly hopped aboard for protection) was on the receiving end of a double six from HW fire, causing two damaging hits and I failed my saving throw, so Bye Bye Big Boss.


Despite previously being stealth-shielded, my Ninjas were soon exposed to the unwelcome attention of the Crabby Light Vehicles and Beasts. No good could come from this.


Gradually, my defenders began to fall. The loss of my Inspirational Force Commander left me low on command options and I began to fail activation tests with annoying frequency.


The amount of fire I was receiving from the Crabbies was leaving my troops Pinned and vulnerable to hand-to-hand assault. There could only be one outcome.


The Aliens were damaged, but had greater numbers. The coup de grace couldn't be too far away .....


................ and it soon arrived with the demise of the Ninjas.


With eight stands lost and an enemy stand inside the Objective area, my battle was over. The Crabbies had their revenge upon the unscrupulous and exploitative Galactic Seafood Corporation's latest evil business venture.

Well, this was a hugely fun game. My mechs performed pretty well in their first outing and I couldn't really complain about getting Broken, seeing as the army is so small. In hindsight, the Ninjas weren't a good choice, but I love the figures so much I hate to leave them behind. To be honest, I'd love an all-Ninja army, but they would just get shot to bits the moment they revealed themselves, even if the rules allowed such a thing (which they don't!).

6 comments:

  1. Excellent game and AAR! I love the eyeball terrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The eyeballs are Richard's inventions. Marvellous, aren't they?

      Delete
  2. Great battle report. I love the skulls on pins, a useful marker I presume? (I may have to "borrow" the idea.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are damage counters. In the ASQL rules, each stand of figures or vehicle has three hit points (two for individual characters). I did a post about them in 2017.

      https://hippolytastinyfootsteps.blogspot.com/2017/03/a-neat-way-to-record-casualties.html

      Delete
    2. My wife informs me she has some skull beads already!

      Delete
  3. The skull on pins are great wound counters! Much better than having a die or chits follow the unit around.

    ReplyDelete