Monday 13 May 2019

Some more Bad Squiddo Shieldmaidens, plus something else

I've been slowly expanding my collection of Bad Squiddo Shieldmaidens, with a view to using them in Dragon Rampant and also Saga Age of Magic. To that end, I bough four more Berserkers and the older range of berserkers, now relabelled as Fanatics.


I really like these figures, because they are so different from the rest of the Shieldmaidens in the collection. I am planning to use these together with the Fanatics (below) and the Berserkers I painted last year as 12 Bellicose Foot for Dragon Rampant.

Here are the four Fanatics. First, from the front;


These were supposed to be used with slottabases (which I don't really like), so I trimmed off the tabs and superglued them to 2.5cm MDF round bases. The third figure had her foot raised up on a metal peg shaped like a tuft of grass for stability but I wanted something a bit more interesting, so I trimmed it away and replaced it with a plastic head from my spare bits box. Much more in keeping, I think. The figure on the left wears an apron, which I have chosen to paint as blood-stained.

Here is a view of the same figures from behind. There is some lovely detail on these, which cries out for subtle shading to bring out the folds in the fabric of their clothes.


Finally, here are the original four Berserkers which I painted last year. As you can see, I've tried to keep a fairly uniform appearance to these warriors.


Finally, here is the different thing I mentioned in the title of this post;


This is a Grim Reaper statue from Wargames Terrain Workshop, which I bought the year before last at the annual IPMS Show in Thornbury. The club has been involved with this show for a long time now, and we run a Bring and Buy table, as well as running a participation game. Last year we ran What A Tanker in 15mm and we will probably do this again in 2019.

Anyway, here are more views of the Grim Reaper, or "Dave Death" as I've taken to calling him.




I bought him for Frostgrave originally, but he will fit right in with anything with a creepy theme. There simply has to be a graveyard in a slightly odd village that needs a big old statue of Death in it, be it for 7TV, Call of Cthulhu or something else. It is a big piece, being 11cm tall on a 4cm square base.

I painted his scythe blade in gunmetal and gave it a wash of rust paint and it seemed a good idea to make the goblet into something metallic too, rather than just leaving it as carved stone.


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful work, as always. Love the colours on the shield maidens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is always good to get feedback, especially nice feedback.

      Delete
  2. Disappointing. Thought you'd been painting bare women, not bear-women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are lovely sculpts, and I like the vibrant colours of the clothing. Also nice to see female minis that are bearskinned rather than bare skin, kudos to Annie there. I have some of her female dark ages figures which are almost on the painting pile, and which are destined to defend their village from marauding Uruk-Hai. I am also thinking that h berserkers might augment my Wildmen of Dunland - why not some Wildwoman of Dunland as well?
    Keep painting!
    Best, Mike

    ReplyDelete