Monday 6 May 2019

Demons .........................

...........or maybe Daemons.



I suppose it all depends on how you prefer to spell it. Personally, I prefer the latter spelling. Anyway, with the arrival of Saga: Age of Magic, I suddenly have a need for daemonic entities from a parallel universe, because the faction that I want to play is the Otherworld one. I really like the idea of entities from another dimension emerging from a portal into the world of mortals (which includes goblins, orcs, dwarves, elves and whatever else takes your fancy, including the no-longer living, recently-buried and not-exactly dead) to wreak death, destruction and evil designs upon the locals.

It took me a while to work out exactly what I wanted the force to look like, but I liked the idea of there being a human component, obviously members of a Cult dedicated to the worship of dark deities who need willing acolytes to open portals through which they can gain access to entry no normal space and time. Yes, I've been a huge fan of the works of H.P Lovecraft since my teens.

So, I need cult members to act as footsoldiers, lesser daemons, dread creatures, a monster, a sorcerer and a daemonic warlord.

I looked at a lot of possibilities, but kept on coming back to the Frostgrave plastic cultists box set, mainly on the grounds of cost, but also because they look really good. I love the hooded figures in their tattered robes, just the thing for arcane summoning rituals on a blasted heath somewhere, no doubt accompanied by the eerie cries of whippoorwills.

I've also decided that the Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago plastic Snakemen would work really well as lesser daemon troops, especially as I want to take a unit of Warriors upgraded to Hunters. Snakemen with shields or with heavy weapons would also make good Hearthguard.

While looking through the available monsters in the Frostgrave Bestiary on the North Star website I found a couple of figures I really liked and I bought them, together with the already-mentioned plastic box sets.

While working on my Bad Squiddo Dwarf Warrior, I also got working on a couple of major figures for my Daemonic Otherword warband.

First, the Warlord.



I did consider using him as a Behemoth (one of the Monster classes) but he isn't really big enough for that, but I reckon that he looks like a pretty good Warlord, and that sword definitely qualifies as a Heavy Weapon. He's clearly got the muscles to wave it about in a menacing manner, as his back shows. He's absolutely ripped;


The other creature that took my fancy was the Ghost Archipelago Hemata, a kind of Snakeman with four arms and a snake body instead of legs.


Now, he (or maybe she, it isn't easy to tell, really) could quite easily be the Warlord, but I also need a Sorcerer and I've decided that a snake daemon sorcerer would fit in well with the Snakemen component of the army, so this is going to be my warband's Magic user. Here is the rear view.


I am going to stick with a red-based colour palette for the daemonic part of the force, with the cultists in grey robes with some red bits to tie it all together. 

My warband is going to have a fairly standard composition;

Warlord
Sorcerer
6 Hearthguard
1 Behemoth
3 Creatures
2 groups of 8 Warriors
1 group of Hunters

It is the same line-up as the Black Dwarves of Neggaruth warband in the rulebook in terms of groups and individuals.

I have ideas for the creatures and the behemoth, which will be revealed in due course.

I'll also be able to use both of these in games of Frostgrave too, so it is a win-win for me.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent. I had a similar thought about using my daemons as the Warlord and the Sorceror, but went for them as Monsters at the last minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! Very well executed they look MEAN!

    ReplyDelete