Saturday 13 October 2018

Frostgrave club league - Week Four

Last Sunday we held the fourth of our Frostgrave league games at the club. Unlike previous weeks, we played a scenario from The Frostgrave Folio. In this scenario, certain kinds of magic would be inoperable (as decided by each player secretly choosing one school to ban) and there were also six pylons on the table which, if the dice fairies so decided, would send out jets of arcane energy which would strike any characters in their path. Here is the initial table. The energy pylons are represented by columns with green jewels on top. Once again, the central zone, where the bulk of the treasure was located was surrounded by a barrier preventing spells to be cast inwards.


I began to deploy my treasure hunters, led by my Elementalist.


Elsewhere, Andy began to cast fog spells, ostensibly to protect his band from long range attacks, but also to gain experience points.


My wizard cast Wall, closing off one of Owen's lines of advance, giving my Thief protection from his crossbows. Note that I was now able to use my new walls for this game.


That Fog was spreading. This was helpful to me.


My Apprentice successfully cast Raise Zombie. She was now accompanied by a shambling and fairly useless Undead Thing. 


Owen's gang began to advance, but soon became involved in a skirmish with Richard's band.



Andy's Frogs began to move up behind the Fog barrier.


Things were hotting up in the treasure enclosure and both Owen and I had people ready to grab some loot.


I also managed to cast a second Wall, blocking off Owen's Thief and Warhound from attacking my Thief and making off with the treasure.


Due to a Random Encounter generated by picking up a treasure item, a Large Construct appeared elsewhere on the table (we used a scatter dice plus a D20 for distance from the treasure). Not nice.


The Construct (actually my Bad Squiddo Golem from the My Last Sunrise gothic horror range) attacked my Thug, who heroically defeated the monster with an attack score of 20.


The treasure-grabbing action was serious now. Both my Treasure Hunter and Infantryman were grabbing some treasure action, and my Man-At-Arms was also close to picking up a casket.


One of Richard's Knights was beset by Beastly Things while his friends were engaged with fisticuffs with Andy's Frogs. 


Unhappily, my Man-At-Arms was killed off by crossbow fire, but overall I was pretty happy, because I ended up with four treasure items.



In the post-game reckoning, no one in my band was killed and I did rather well with Experience, Gold Coins, Scrolls and Grimoires. As a result, my Wizard has advanced to Level 7 and made spell-casting a bit easier.

I've also improved my Inn with the purchase of a Kennel, so expect to see some canine action next time around.

1 comment: