Wednesday 22 August 2018

My first Freyja's Wrath figures are finished

A week or so ago I posted that my Freyja's Wrath Kickstarter had arrived, and therefore I really had to get started on painting a few figures. I knew which one I wanted to do first (My Heroine, a personal favourite), but I wanted to work on a few all at once, because that would give me plenty of other things to paint while I waited for work done on one figure was drying.

The minis I chose were the My Heroine vignette, The Seer, Svala the Standardbearer and Dagmar the Champion. I also undercoated Freyja herself, but she is still a work-in-progress.

Here are the four finished figures together;


And here they are separately. First, My Heroine, a Shieldmaiden home from the wars greeting her girlfriend;



Next, Dagmar, a Swordmaiden champion, with a hand-painted shield design. As she is modelled with two swords, I am thinking that the one in her hand might be a legendary blade she has captured from a recently fallen foe;



Next, the somewhat sinister figure of The Seer, a supernatural creation from the chthonic darkness which is at the heart of much of Norse mythology;




And finally, Svala. Her banner is hand-painted, but taken from an image based on one interpretation of the raven Landeythan (land-waster) banner of Harald Hardrada, downloaded from the internet. I know that many images of this are triangular, but this one fits the model better.



I am really happy with how these have turned out. The castings themselves are incredibly clean and have lovely sharp detail, but are not unrealistically ornate. They are simply what Annie Norman does best, offering us believable and realistically-proportioned female miniatures.

Now, I can't wait to get stuck into the rest of these gorgeous figures.

2 comments: