In the years following the end of Ottoman rule there was a gradual westernisation of the forces available to Borduria. The first regiments raised were equipped with muskets and polearms after the style of Polish Drabants and were termed Hajduks. These were initially supplemented by locally-raised companies of soldier-peasants known as Militani. However, the limitations of these formations gradually became apparent and by 1730, western-style infantry regiments were replacing the traditional Hajduks. Eventually, most of the Hajduk regiments were converted to regular line infantry. However, three regiments of Hajduks were merged with the best of the Militani militia units, to serve as light infantry and skirmishers wearing western-style uniforms, in a role as Grenzer and Gendarmerie. In honour of their origins they retained their traditional title of Hajduks.
The troops shown here are from the Smederevka Regiment. There is a group of eight infantrymen, a group of six skirmishers, two NCOs and an officer.
In addition to the Haiduks, who had a number of limitations, not least a reputation for insubordination and a marked reluctance to serving outside of the regions where they were raised, the Bordurians soon recruited a number of Jäger Light Infantry regiments uniformed in the Prussian style that was the main influence on the Bordurian Army under the Autocrat Constantine II Cantacuzene. These regiments wore a fairly utilitarian grey uniform and were noted for their steadfastness, shooting ability and overall quality.
These troops are represented here by a group of eight Jägers, six Schützen (light infantry skirmishers), two NCOs and an officer, all from the Moznik Jäger Regiment.