Friday, 9 October 2026

VSF heavy steam tank

 I've had this model for a couple of years but finally decided to paint it. It is by Ironclad Miniatures.

 

I've placed the vehicle in a desert landscape under low-light conditions (by under-exposing my shot). I'm putting this in the context of an alternative Earth timeline where a portal between Earth and Mars opened up in the last decades of the 19th century. Obviously, the Great Powers all scrambled to explore this new world (which amazingly had a breathable atmosphere and a relatively clement climate).

Inevitably, the threat of conflict between the Powers and some of the local inhabitants developed into open hostility and armoured vehicles soon became essential to protect exploring teams.

The backdrop is from the latest Jon Hodgson Sci Fi backdrops book. 

I really like this model. I now need to work out how to use it. 

4 comments:

  1. Is this part of the 'Space 1889' game system, or something different? Although I have never played it myself, I have always felt the concept intriguing. I gather Venus was also habitable in that 'universe'. Reminds me of conjectures about Venus that were current in the early 1960s, when it was thought that the surface temperature of Venus would be similar to that of a mild day on Earth. Clouds you know. The notion of greenhouse gases was little considered 60-70 years ago, let alone understood.

    A certain object of ridicule, Immanuel Velikovsky, predicted (for the wrong reasons, seemingly) what the Soviet Union subsequently found: surface temperatures that would melt lead; and 90 times Earth's atmospheric pressure. I liked the old, milder Venus better...
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't really for any specific setting. I just liked the model, which I bought for all sorts of different settings and sets of rules. Once I'd painted it, I just found a complementary backdrop for a photo.

      Delete
  2. Nice work. Ironclad Miniatures closing was a great loss, I believe the range is still available though which is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pendraken now own Ironclad, so everything is still available.

      Delete