Tuesday 14 September 2021

7TV Fantasy - a fun new project

I bought 7TV Fantasy a while ago as a pre-order, because I thought that it looked like it would be a fun game to play and also because I really like painting fantasy figures. 

I already have figures for Frostgrave that I thought I could use for this but I also wanted to use other figures that I either already have, lying around unpainted, or like the look of but don't actually own.

So, I plunged in and looked around at what interested me. I had some metal Oathmark Elves that I wanted to use, so they went onto the pile and thought that both the Oathmark and Frostgrave ranges stocked by North Star would come up with suitable characters. They didn't disappoint and I bought a dozen or so. I'll dip back in later for some of the Rangers of Shadow Deep figures too. I've also got some Bad Squiddo figures for Ghost Archipelago that I can use as well. Annie Norman is also planning a smallish Fantasy Kickstarter, which is expected to arrive quite soon, so there is going to be another range of options available too.

So lots of nice shiny new toys.

Anyway, 7TV always needs a nice backstory and I do love a backstory, so I have dreamt up a setting for my figures, so Laydeez and Gennulmen, I present to you a long-forgotten Anglo-Italian co-production "Tales From The Enchanted Kingdom". 

This ran for three series at the end of the 1960s and early 1970s and was set in a mysterious mediaeval land where magic and enchantment was real and a range of good and evil characters, together with a few of dubious and shifting morality regularly clashed and fought to gain advantages over their enemies and rivals. Filmed in a variety of locations in Italy, the UK and Yugoslavia, the programme drew heavily on existing fantasy tropes, plundering the likes of J.R.R. Tolkien, Robert E. Howard, E.R Eddison, C.S Lewis and others to create a series of adventures which featured a recurring group of main and supporting characters, villains and magical beings whose main aim was initially unclear but which, in Series Three, later turned into a Quest for a magical item, The Crown of Ouroboros. Unhappily, this Quest was never completed as the planned Fourth Series was never made, the programme being cancelled when the production company went bankrupt.

Cast regulars included;

Pandolfo the Celestial Wizard
Ozymando the Genie
Hengist the Executioner
Landulf the Pitiless, a torturer
Mercator, an itinerant cleric and bookseller
Morgos the Dark, an evil Wizard
Tartaro the necromancer
Chung Lin, an oriental warrior monk
Pankrates the boxer
Anastasia and Irina, twin adventurous sisters from icy Novgorod
Ivar and Sveyn, two warriors from icy Novgorod
Oberon, Lord of the Grey Elves 
Artemisia, Lady of the Grey Elves and Elven Sorceress
Vanozza the Fearless, a female pirate captain 

There were also three "goblin" brothers (derived heavily from Tolkien's Orcs), Gomba, Banda and Munga, who were regular baddies for hire, female pirates, assorted Skeleton warriors, Elven warriors and a shifting cast of humans, dwarves, ghosts, demons, giant spiders and other standard fantasy creations.

Over the next few posts, I'll talk about the various characters and put up photos of the ones I have completed so far.



2 comments:

  1. A splendid setting - did Tales from the Enchanted Kingdom get shown on British telly during the summer hols? I imagine it had a stonking theme tune. Was there dubbing into English?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately only in my imagination. If I had unlimited funds, I start up a production company and get the thing made now.

      Delete