Thursday 3 December 2020

This figure is HUGE

This figure was a freebie that came with  the latest copy of Miniature Wargames magazine. It is for a game called "Conquest: The Last Argument of Kings", which I'd never actually heard of before. Anyway, it is in 38mm scale, which seems pretty unique.

Here is the finished item, next to a 28mm Victrix Roman auxiliary cavalryman;

That is ridiculously big. Here are two more pictures of the Big Guy.



I only made him up and painted him for something to do. I've no intention of buying into a game system that uses such large minis as standard. The thing is this, though; I could see a point to him once I'd glued him together and undercoated him in black.

I think that he would be fine as a gigantic Daemonic Knight, probably as a Warlord for a Saga; Age of Magic warband, such as my Otherworld one, or for a Dragon Rampant force, which is why I used a fairly classic Chaos colour palette of black, bronze, brass, steel and red. His helmet has a weird flaming-looking crest, which I decided would look pretty good as actual flames, so that is how I tried to paint it. 

He was actually pretty easy to paint, because of the size of the model. I liked the idea of his daemonic steed having brass hooves, and they seem to have worked quite well. I left the slight amount of visible face black, to give the impression that whatever is inside the armour is Not Of This World.

Annoyingly, after I'd taken the photos, I noticed a few grains of ballast clinging to his horse barding, which I have now removed with a paintbrush.


9 comments:

  1. Or paint him as a statue in bronze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photos are really good at drawing attention to problems with your painting :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are. I try and avoid looking at full size digital images, because they make everything look awful.

      Delete
  3. Jeepers, he is big. He would make a GW Chaos Lord look puny. I love your basing work, Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are quite a lot of 40mm about if you want larger models but this silly fantasy idea of 32mm 33mm 35 mm and now 38mm is simply silly and is only designed to tie you into THEIR particular daft game- surely limiting the sales .

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a nice enough figure (and well painted) but why not shoot for the usual GW sort of scale? Surely that would lead to better sales for what will otherwise likely be a flash in the pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The humans are too big to be of much use, except as statues maybe. But some of the other factions in Conquest are probably useful with smaller scales... the Spire clones make for weird biomechanical monsters, and I bought some of the dwarf (Dweghom) stuff to use as automatons... and they do make a pretty nice big chunky giant.

      Delete
  6. Cool model. Stupid scale. I agree with the other comments about the recent additions of 32 and 35mm scale, although as a collector and owner of 28, 32 and 35mm scale systems and minis, terrain seems to work pretty seamlessly among them all, particularly "natural" terrain like trees, bushes and hills that vary wildly in the real world anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He certainly looks impressive. Good job!

    ReplyDelete