Wednesday 7 October 2020

What is the wargaming equivalent of writer's block?

 Painter's Ennui, perhaps? Well, whatever it is, I've got it. 

I haven't picked up a paintbrush in weeks, and that isn't because I've run out of things to paint. It is just that I seem to have lost my enthusiasm. Every day, I wake up with the intention to finish something off, or start something new, but by the time I've had my breakfast, something seems to switch off and I end up just reading a book or wasting time on the internet. 

I am still playing games on Sunday afternoons; the club is active again now and working fine under Covid-19 restrictions, although I'm not not currently taking any pictures of the games, because that means taking off my visor, because it is impossible to use an SLR while wearing one. I've played a bit of Sharp Practice, some Chain of Command and I even have a game of I Ain't Been Shot, Mum planned for this weekend. Gaming isn't the issue. Just painting.

I think I just need to finish off my last lot of Roman cavalry and then I'll feel more positive about prepping up something else. To be honest, I think that I need a break from Early Imperial Romans.

7 comments:

  1. I have the same thing happen to me from time to time. I'll just blank out for a short period and just can't make myself paint. I normally do a wide variety of models and periods just to keep it fresh but that's no cure for the dreaded "block." I don't have any useful suggestions but can tell you that you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldnt worry too much. I feel exactly the sameway and I have plenty of figures to paint plus I promised I would paint a load of figures for a veteran charity event.I lay the blame squarely on the issues around Covid. I do worry what last affect that this will have on our hobby and only hope we can bounce back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep... that happens. I go through spells where In just can't work up the enthusiasm to pick up a brush and then something changes and I get into a painting spree. I find it's best not to fight it and take a break from the pressure of feeling like I ought to be being productive. Inspiration will strike at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Given the current state of 2020, brain eating amoebas – did anyone have that on their bingo card – I'd say were all going through trying times. I've come out the other side of frankly black period triggered by a change in medication, which caused me to have suicidal thoughts. Not really depression, just made my life miserable.

    So, yes, been there, only recently lifting myself out of the funk and get back to doing stuff. Hopefully, will feel up to start writing again: I've got stories to tell, and a set of rules to write.

    Take care, be kind to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes cleaning up the painting area also "frees up the mind", and gives an inentive for picking up painting again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got that for most of 2020, this has been a rough year.

    Just recently restarted with the hobby. As others have said maybe cleaning up or restructuring your painting area helps. Just found your blog, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Carole - looking at your most recent post, seems like you have overcome this short interruption to your painting. I too think everyone gets this now and then although my own breaks are usually more related to a lack of anything I want to paint....

    ReplyDelete