Saturday 17 October 2020

Hopefully, the end of wargaming painter's block

 Well, I finally finished off the last of my Roman auxiliary cavalry. There are seven figures in total.

Two groups of equites.


And to lead them, a second decurio.


To distinguish these riders from the other two groups, who have red or blue neckerchiefs, I have given these green ones. I have also used one of the heads on the sprue which is supposed to be for praetorian cavalry for the decurio, and why shouldn't I? I am sure that there was plenty of variation amongst the different cohorts and we know that there wasn't really as much standardisation as Hollywood, and many wargamers too, would have us believe.

Once again, these are all Victrix plastics, on Warbases oval bases and movement trays and the excellent tufts are from Gamer's Grass, which is stocked by Bad Squiddo Games.

I still have a few auxilia bodies left, and I'll probably use some to make up another deployment/ambush point, but I really need a break from Romans for the moment. I might do some recreational 15mm figures for a change. I have some 18th century impact cavalry to do for Syldavia and Borduria, or I might finally start doing something about my essentially pointless Volkssturm project for Germany in  late 1944 and 1945. At best, they will be a minor irritation to any British, American or, more likely Soviet opponents.


9 comments:

  1. Lovely paint job Carole. I seem to have cyclic painters block, that takes hold every eight or nine months and then stops me in my tracks for between three and six months. It’s extremely frustrating but I now just accept it for what it is and definitely don’t try to force myself. I find that if I change to making terrain and buildings I’m ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There you go - back in production! Great work on these figures. I have only just found your blog so now off to peruse some of your earlier posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful details as usual and great painting, congrats Carole!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen Sumption17 October 2020 at 22:34

    I have found that the last 25% of any group of figures whether 40 or 4 in number area pain to finish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice additions Carole. Fingers crossed that this group kicks your painter's block into the long grass. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to see you painting again.

    BTW: I've just discovered the joy of Scale 75 colors, which are awesome. Goo coverage when thinned, and super matt when dry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And very nice they look too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think finishing them has got me past the block.

      Delete