Friday 18 October 2019

Big uglies!


These three Big Ugly Chaps with clubs are 28mm plastic figures by Reaper Bones, from their "Black" range. They are sold as Garghuk, Ogre Chieftain but I see them as a variety of jötnar, the plural of jötunn, the Norse name for a range of creatures that are often just called "giants", although in Norse mythology many jötnar appear to be human-sized, the goddess Skaði is a jötunn for example, as is Gerðr, the wife of the Vanir god, Freyr. Odin, the king of the gods is descended from the jötnar too.

Anyway, as well as jötnar being giants, they might also be what we call trolls or ogres too. These figures are pretty imposing, being around 6cm tall, but not really big enough to be a Behemoth.

I am going to use these three as bipedal Creatures in a Saga: Age of Magic Horde warband based around my Bad Squiddo shieldmaidens.

I want to use some mounted figures for my Horde, so I have bought a number of mounted shieldmaidens who I need to get painted, ideally before the end of the year.

If you want to see my shieldmaidens, they can be found in a series of posts, here.

Of course, these could also come in handy in a Dragon Rampant force, too.

1 comment: