Wednesday 7 August 2019

Thornbury IPMS show 2019

Last Sunday (4th August) saw the annual IPMS Show at Thornbury Leisure Centre near Bristol. The Lincombe Barn Wargames Society has been helping run parts of the show for a long time and this year was no exception.

As well as running the popular Bring and Buy table, the club also has a display stand, showing some of the games we play and we run a participation game. This year, our chosen game was Congo by Studio Tomahawk. Despite having not played the game for a while, we managed to get three games completed on the day, and I think that everyone enjoyed themselves. Below are a selection of photos from the games. All figures were supplied by Clive (the Forest Tribes) or me (the European Explorers). We played the same simple scenario in all the games, Raiders of the Lost Mask from the Last Queen of Aksoum bulletin sheet.










In addition, some of us submitted entries for the Wargaming Class of the IPMS Painting Competition. The first picture shows the winning entry. I think that is an Age of Sigmar thing, but I have no idea what they are, apart from being some kind of animated trees. Anyway, it was a nice paint job.


This Ork vehicle battlegroup (below) was an impressive entry, but was unplaced.




I submitted a few different entries from stuff already painted which I use for gaming (rather than specifically-painted competition pieces), both in the hope of getting a top three spot, but also to ensure that there were enough wargames entries to the competition. My entries were a mixed bunch, featuring figures from Bad Squiddo, North Star, Pulp Figures, Copplestone, Reaper Miniatures and Perry. I had high hopes of getting some recognition for my Freyja's Wrath entry, but it was not to be (insert sad face here).


Below are all my entries together, plus one from someone else at the bottom right.


"How did I fare?", you might ask. Well, I didn't win, but I did grab second place with my Perry 28mm plastic Condottieri foot men-at-arms figures at the top left of the picture above.

Next year I really Must Try Harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment