Monday 17 June 2019

Saga: Age of Magic - my Otherworld army gets a run out

Yesterday at the club, we had one of our occasional all-day sessions. This was a great opportunity to get my daemonic Otherworld warband (made mainly from Frostgrave figures, with Alternative Armies Creatures) on the table for some Saga: Age of Magic. This was going to be a learning experience as I'n not played with this faction before. I fell into the trap of thinking of this as an impact army which did me no good against my first opponents, Clive's Undead.



These Undead are a terrific-looking army, with an Ancient Egyptian theme.




Unfortunately, for me anyway, they are also a very shooty army, with lots of bow-equipped warriors.

I plunged ahead, trying to get my best killy units into combat, with the Hunters leading the way. They didn't last long, succumbing to a lot of accurate shooting. Still, I had high hopes for my Creatures.



I used Portal to get my Hearthguard into a position to charge. Two powerful units ready to bust the Undead line apart. What could possibly go wrong?


Ha! What could go wrong was getting shot at. My Behemoth and the Creatures were targeted first.



By the time the Creatures had taken a lot of Fatigue, they were easy meat for some Undead Warriors.


My Behemoth and Warlord were the next targets to suffer.


Also, the sad failure of my Hearthguard, who despite gaining Resilience via Astral Bond and were still unable to take out the Undead archers.


With the Behemoth gone, again due to shooting, my Warlord was the next one to fall.


We called time on the game. I had virtually no Saga dice left.  We set up a second game. This time I was opposed by Clive's High Elf Great Kingdom army, led by Matt, who was new to the game, with assistance from Clive.

I learnt from my mistakes and set up with all my troops in the cover of woods.






I waited to see how things would develop. Not only did the Elves have bows, they also had a Dragon and a Hero on a Pegasus.


The Elven Hearthguard was in two groups of four. My Sorcerer soon managed to get one group reduced to two figures, using a combination of Rift and the Bolt and Drain Life spells.


My Hunters were getting shot at by Elven bow Levies. So, I charged them, with predictable results. 


One Hunter left. I advanced some Warrior Cultists through the woods.



I used Portal to move my Creatures behind the Elven line, threatening the weak Hearthguard unit.


Elsewhere, the other Hearthguard led the Warlord and Sorcerer into the attack. My Warriors in the woods were having success with Abyssal Breath to shoot at the bow levies.


After some manoeuvres, Matt managed to move his weakened Hearthguard out of charge range, so I used Portal again to bring my Creatures back across the table. The green jewels indicate that they are sheltering behind the Elemental Barrier spell.


I'd given up worrying about the Dragon marooned out on my left, but I really needed to charge those bow Levies with my Creatures.


With clever use of the board, the Levies moved out of the way, and the Elven Lion Creatures charged my Creatures, utterly obliterating them.


Things went from bad to worse and eventually, I threw everything into a reckless attack, which was spectacularly unsuccessful. Another loss for the Otherworldly Daemons.


However, it wasn't all bad. My Sorcerer was really effective, using Drain Life with a fair amount of success, but, more importantly to use the spell to remove fatigue. I think, also, that I am beginning to learn how to play with this faction. More games are required.

3 comments:

  1. Cool! Thanks for posting a battle report on the Otherworld faction. I have a fairy army I run as Otherworld. Always nice to see how people are running it. Those ranged weapons are deadly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the battle report on AOM: Otherworld. I have a fairy army that I run as Otherworld faction. Cool to see how people are fairing with the faction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the battle report on AOM: Otherworld. I have a fairy army that I run as Otherworld faction. Cool to see how people are fairing with the faction.

    ReplyDelete