Tuesday 11 September 2018

Frostgrave club league - Week Three

A week ago, we played the third round of our Frostgrave league at the club. Once again, we were exploring a region of Felstad where there were treasures inside an enclosure protected by an anti-magic barrier. Here is the table before the commencement of hostilities.


Here is my initial deployment. Note that my warband has been bolstered by the recruitment of a Knight, represented by a Bad Squiddo shieldmaiden, with a mail shirt, a shield and a spear.


Andy's Frog Witch cast Fog, represented by these smoke markers. This suited me fine. 


Richard's Chronomancer-led band was a worrying sight. I needed to grab some treasure quickly and scoot.


Owen was also deploying, but as he was diagonally opposite me, I didn't see him as a problem for now.


My Treasure Hunter got into the enclosure and made a beeline for the loot, as did one of my thugs just outside the enclosure, protected by my Archer.


My Elementalist cast Wall between the edge of the enclosure and the ruin sheltering a chest to close down one line of attack. I sent in a thug to try and grab the cash.


My Man-at-Arms and Infantryman  went in to protect the treasure chest, but were confronted by Richard's Knights. He had a thief with Fleet Feet heading for the treasure too.


Elsewhere, more fog was beginning to make it difficult to see what was happening, but my troops were closing in on the action inside the enclosure.


My Infantryman's weapon was destroyed by Richard's Decay spell, leaving him pretty useless in combat. My Man-at-Arms was in danger of being eliminated. I wasn't confident of making off with this treasure.


The enclosure was getting a bit crowded. I didn't want to tangle with Andy's Giant Frog (a Bear in Frostgrave terms).


As expected, I lost both the Infantryman and the Man-at-Arms, along with the treasure chest. Adding insult to injury, I also lost the thug. My ranks were getting rather depleted, but worse was to come as my Wizard was also rendered hors de combat!


My Treasure Hunter picked up the chest, but she was unlucky enough to summon up a random Demon, who after killing her, went in to attack my Archer who was also trying to grab some treasure.


I sent my Knight into combat, hoping to drive the Demon off. Luckily, time was on my side, as the clock ran down and we called a halt.



I ended the game with three chests, but a lot of worrying casualties to roll  for.

I had successfully cast two spells and acquired three chests, giving me 170 Experience Points. From the chests I gained a total of five scrolls, one grimoire and 280 gold coins. Luckily, my saving dice rolls saw all my wounded recover, but with two thugs being badly wounded. I can see them being kicked out of the Inn and two new fighters being recruited.

When I rolled for the scrolls I ended up with Bones Of The Earth, Awareness, two Time Walk scrolls and Create Grimoire.

The grimoire I found contained the Wizard Eye spell.

All things considered, not a bad haul, especially seeing as my carried forward Experience Points plus what I gained means that I can raise my Wizard to Level Four. I need to think about and what other things I want to do with her.

Our next encounter will be using one of the scenarios from the Frostgrave Folio, which will be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment